Extra Credit in BSC 2010
The Center for Academic Success (CfAS) offers workshops in reading enhancement through application of various reading strategies via your biology textbook. These workshops are designed to make you better readers as the volume of information increases throughout the semester. They are structured for small groups of students to facilitate in-depth application of these strategies.
- Be prepared. Bring your textbook, syllabus, and any pertinent materials related to your class. Any forms of assessment are extremely helpful.
- Be on time. Sessions are one hour in length. The tutors need all of this time in order to provide each participant with the necessary attention and detail to his/her progress. Workshops are available at both our MMC and BBC campuses. CfAS, MMC is located in the Green Library, room 120 (next to Starbucks). CfAS, BBC is located in Academic One, room 160.
- Be consistent. In order to receive your extra credit points, you must complete all five sessions throughout the semester. This is an opportunity for you to earn more points for your class. Sessions cannot be skipped, missed, or partially completed.
- Be receptive. You will receive a variety of strategies, graphic organizers, mnemonics, and study rubrics throughout these sessions. Not all of them may apply to BSC 2010, but they may be useful in another course. Keep these in your ‘metacognitive bank’ and ask your tutor questions.
- Be responsible. Once you register for a workshop at CfAS you are reserving a place that no other student can take. Be considerate with these workshops. Keep your Panther ID handy when you check in with the front desk.You must enter your information at the front area of our center, and make sure that your tutor records your attendance. At the end of the semester these records will be submitted to Roberto Pereira.